Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports chiropractor, functional medicine practitioner, entrepreneur, podcast host, and founder of Perfect Keto.
Two years ago, today’s guest put out his first Youtube video about the ketogenic diet with the hope of helping a few people lose weight and get fitter through keto.
In this short time, his channel has grown to over 100k subscribers and he has turned into one of the biggest keto influencers, helping hundreds of people reach their weight loss and fitness goals through his videos and his unique challenge, Keto Quest.
I’m talking about Jason Wittrock, athlete, coach, and keto king.
When Jason first stumbled upon the ketogenic diet, he wasn’t completely sold on it. As someone who had been in the fitness industry for years, the concept of dropping carbs and embracing fats went against everything he had learned about building muscle.
He was already a successful personal trainer and fitness icon. He didn’t need to lose weight or manage any lifestyle diseases, so why risk harming his physique with the seemingly excessive amount of fat the keto diet demands? And what about protein?
Despite these concerns, he went for it. And he hasn’t looked back.I'll never forget the day I put butter in my coffee the first time. I said this is either gonna kill me or this is gonna be the best thing ever. And it was the best thing ever. Click To Tweet
Today I’m happy to sit down with Jason to talk about his journey into the ketogenic diet, how to do cheat meals with keto, and how you can fine-tune your keto diet to make it a manageable lifestyle (because pizza and cake are going to happen).
In this episode, we go over:
- The right way to eat cheat meals on keto
- Carb cycling
- The cyclical keto diet
- How to get back in ketosis after you’ve eaten carbs
- Common mistakes beginner keto-ers make (and how to avoid them)
- The best way to track your macros (so you don’t become a slave to tracking)
- How to turn the ketogenic diet into a lifestyle
- The dairy debate – does it stop weight loss or not?
- The best types of nuts to eat on the keto diet
- Why the keto diet can work for you (even if you’ve tried every other diet and failed)
- How to start losing weight effectively with diet + exercise
- Jason’s daily keto diet, workout routine, and fitness philosophy
Mentioned in This Episode
- Jason’s challenge, Keto Quest
- Jason’s website
- Jason’s Instagram
- Jason’s Youtube channel
- Jason’s first youtube video about the ketogenic diet
- Gary Taubes’ book, Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
- Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder
- Perfect Keto Micronutrient Greens Powder
- Perfect Keto Base Exogenous Ketones
- Kettle and Fire Chicken Bone Broth
- Keto Calculator: The Easy Ketogenic Macro Calculator
- The Quickstart Guide to The 4 Keto Diet Types (& How to Choose)
- Can You Eat Healthy, Complex Carbs While in Ketosis?
- Should You Have Cheat Meals on a Ketogenic Diet?
- Simple Tips for Staying Keto While You’re on Vacation
- The Secret to Keto Dairy (And How Keto Can Help Lactose Intolerance)
- Keto Nuts? The Pros and Cons of Nuts on a Ketogenic Diet
- Keto Electrolytes 101: How to Avoid Imbalances & Dehydration on Keto
- Using Supplements on Keto: The Top 16 and Why You Need Them
- MCT Oil Vs Powder: What You Need to Know (And How to Choose)