Fact-checked by Dr. Anthony Gustin, DC, MS.
Written by Brenda Godinez
If you’ve ever felt underwhelmed with the attention you received at the doctor’s office, you’re not alone.
A lightning fast check up has become the norm in traditional healthcare. The 2016 Medscape Physician Compensation Report found that most physicians spend no longer than 13-16 minutes with each patient — and it’s not uncommon for it to be even less.
This level of attention fails to get to the root causes of diseases, leaving many people with chronic conditions that are poorly managed with drugs.
That’s exactly why today’s guest, Dr. Will Cole, took a different path to health care and became a functional medicine clinician.
Functional medicine gives people what traditional healthcare isn’t able to: high-quality attention and individualized medical and lifestyle solutions for their specific conditions.
For Dr. Cole, the key to helping people thrive is personalized health, which is why he works closely with his patients to address all the aspects of their medical conditions.
Most of Will’s patients have autoimmune inflammatory diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS) and Hashimoto’s, so he’s become an expert in treating inflammation.
While traditional care recommends anti-inflammatory drugs, Will uses nutritional ketosis to cut down inflammation instead. And it simply works.
Will’s ketogenic approach is completely personalized for every patient according to their food sensitivities and metabolism, which makes it extremely effective.Most of my patients have some sort of autoimmunity, so I would say most of them benefit from times in ketosis. Click To Tweet
Listen on as Will explains how a ketogenic diet slashes inflammation, how you can tweak your own keto diet for optimal health, and why functional medicine may be the best approach.
In this episode, we go over:
- How personalized ketosis can drive down inflammation and improve gut health
- The method Will uses to introduce his patients to ketosis
- How to make ketosis work for you
- What functional medicine is
- What functional medicine does different from traditional healthcare
- Why individualized healthcare is important
- The link between inflammation and gut health
- Why carb cycling doesn’t work for everyone
- Metabolic flexibility
- How to effectively read your biomarkers
- What Will eats in a day
- Will’s workout routine
- Will’s recommendations for lower stress and better sleep
Listen to The Episode
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Keto Answers Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Will’s website
- Will’s Functional Medicine Video Courses
- Will’s Facebook
- Will’s Twitter
- Will’s Instagram
- Will and Dr. Jimmy Moore’s podcast, Keto Talk
- Perfect Keto Exogenous Ketones
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Ketosis for Reduced Inflammation
- Ketosis for Metabolism Control
- Bone Broth to Crush Inflammation
- Research Shows That Bone Broth is Liquid Gold (And Here’s Why)
- 006: Optimizing Your Skin Health, Gut, and Energy with a High Fat Diet – Emily Schromm
- The Ultimate Keto Diet Plan: What to Eat and Expect on a Ketogenic Diet