Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports chiropractor, functional medicine practitioner, entrepreneur, podcast host, and founder of Perfect Keto.
Sugar is one of the worst foods you can put in your body.
It’s also one of the most common ingredients in our food system — lurking in everything from ketchup to protein bars.
While the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends the consumption of added sugars should be less than 10% of total energy intake, in reality, added sugars make up 17% of total energy intake among US adults and teenagers[*], and the greatest contributors are sugary drinks and confectionery[*].
This sugar consumption severely harms our short and long-term health because it leads to obesity, insulin resistance, type II diabetes, cardiovascular problems, skin breakouts, energy crashes, moodiness, lower cognitive function, and poor nutrition.
So how can you kick the sugar habit for good — and help your family do it too?
This week, I chatted with Zevia CEO Paddy Spence about his own sugar-free journey, how he educates his children about food and health and the simple steps you can take to get off the sweet stuff.
Almost 18 years ago, Paddy Spence went sugar-free along with his wife. He went from eating 250 grams of sugar per day — about one cup — to only 15 grams, or 1 tablespoon.
Ten years later — after seeing a bottle of sugar-free Zevia in a supermarket shelf– he decided to acquire the company and create a healthier, stevia-sweetened soda to help people ditch sugar.Stevia helps you adjust to a lower level of sweetness and reduces your demand for sugar. Click To Tweet
If you’re struggling to cut sugar from your diet, in this episode you’ll learn which alternative sweeteners can help, how to upgrade your nutrition, how to stick to a low sugar limit, and much more.
In this episode, we go over:
- Why cutting out sugar is a crucial step for optimal health
- How a food journal can help you track your sugar intake
- The short-term and long-term health benefits of going sugar-free
- What to eat instead of sugary foods
- Why not all sugar-free sweeteners are the same
- What Stevia is and how it can help
- Stevia vs sugar alcohols
- Why some people struggle with Stevia’s taste
- Why you should be skeptical about health claims in most “natural” food products
- The problem with fruit juice, coconut water, sodas, and sweetened beverages
- How to get your family on board with a healthy lifestyle change
- How Paddy teaches his kids about food and health
- What a sugar budget is
- How to give your children healthier food choices
- How Paddy eats to fuel his athletic performance
- How Paddy and his wife went sugar-free
- Paddy’s approach to carbs and beverages
- How Paddy got started with Zevia
- Paddy’s nutrition tips and wellness habits
Listen To This Episode
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Keto Answers Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates.