Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports chiropractor, functional medicine practitioner, entrepreneur, podcast host, and founder of Perfect Keto.
Are all additives bad?
What about ones found in foods like almond milk?
Does stevia, monk fruit, or erythritol really spike your blood sugar levels?
Why is it that some people don’t see high ketone numbers even when following a strict keto diet with fasting?
I get questions just like these on a daily basis, so today I’m answering most of them and setting the record straight on common keto and health misconceptions.
This week I’m sitting down with my co-host Alex Cunningham, our Head of Partnerships, to answer your most burning keto questions.
We’ll be covering a ton of ground in this episode too, including some non-keto topics such as common misconceptions about how probiotics really work and why too much fiber is not exactly a good thing.People think that when you take probiotics they reside in your gut. But that’s not the case. Click To Tweet
It’s the first time we’ve done something like this and, if you enjoy it l, it won’t be the last.
Here’s a breakdown of the questions and topics I’ll tackle with Alex in this episode:
- Is there any research to support using the carnivore diet to heal gut issues?
- How too much fiber can inflame the gut and cause gastrointestinal symptoms
- My thoughts on whether or not the carnivore diet can help with gut issues, why it’s effective, and using this diet in both the short and long term
- Should you be worried about sunflower lecithin and guar gum found in things like nut milks?
- How guar gum feeds bacteria and may promote gut dysfunction in large doses
- How to find a functional medicine practitioner worth visiting
- The effects of stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol on blood glucose levels
- Why it’s important to test your own blood glucose levels when using these sweeteners to see how they affect you
- Why is it that some people don’t see high ketone numbers even when following a strict keto diet with fasting, weight loss, and low blood glucose readings?
- My and Alex’s average nutritional ketosis reading and how this changes when fasting for 3-4 days
- Why chasing higher ketones is a big myth and could make you feel worse
- Why ideal ketone levels are different for everyone
- How your body adjusts to ketones overtime and changes its maintenance needs
- My best tips for following a keto diet while managing a busy lifestyle
- What to do if you can’t afford grass-fed meat on a regular basis
- Why you should purchase leaner cuts of meat whenever you’re shopping at big chain grocery stores
- What to load up on at big warehouse stores like Costco and Sam’s club
- The exact supplements I take on a daily basis and how this changes over time
- My favorite times to use exogenous ketones
- Why I always supplement with collagen before a workout
- My morning supplement routine
- Where I like to sneak MCTs in
- My go-to 4-ingredient homemade ice cream treat
- How probiotics don’t live in your gut and what actually happens when you take them
- The one food I could survive on for the rest of my life
Listen To This Episode
Mentioned in This Episode
- Perfect Keto Nut Butter
- Perfect Keto Grass-Fed Collagen Protein
- Perfect Keto Nootropics
- Perfect Keto Exogenous Base
- Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder
- Perfect Keto Pre-Workout Sports Drink
- Perfect Keto Microgreens Powder
- Perfect Keto Electrolytes
- Perfect Keto Single Packets
- Equip Turmeric Blend
- Dr. Michael Ruscio – Fixing Your Gut Health And The Truth About Fiber and Bacteria
- My Carnivore Diet Results and Q&A
- Dr. Shawn Baker – Busting Myths About The Carnivore Diet and How to Thrive On Meat
- The 7 Benefits of Grass Fed Beef: The Nutritional Powerhouse
- Using Supplements on Keto: The Top 16 and Why You Need Them