Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports chiropractor, functional medicine practitioner, entrepreneur, podcast host, and founder of Perfect Keto.
He’s on a crusade of fixing people’s health.
But he’s doing so in a completely radical way.
On top of eliminating carbs, grains, and sugar, Jeff Nobbs, co-founder of paleo and keto-friendly restaurant Kitava and nutrition tracking software Trish.io, warns people of the dangers of vegetable oils and why this often overlooked area could be wreaking more havoc on your health than you realize.Studies have shown that cooking with a lot of vegetable oils leads to incredibly high rates of lung cancer in women who don’t smoke. Click To Tweet
The problem is most people don’t know just how prevalent vegetable oils are or that they’re hiding in some of your favorite dishes and packaged foods, including those that seem keto-friendly.
Don’t let the cleverly marketed name fool you either.
The veggies used to make vegetable oils aren’t anything you’d want to consume.
On top of that, they slowly deplete the environment of essential nutrients and have a negative effect on global warming.
See why Jeff believes it’s carbs, sugar, and vegetable oils that should be ditched on a ketogenic diet in this podcast episode.
We’ll also explore the following topics to give you a complete picture of what’s really going on with vegetable oils:
- Everything that’s wrong with vegetable oils
- Why they’re used so heavily
- Where they’re lurking
- How to avoid harmful vegetable oils, even on the go
- The most prevalent vegetable oil
- How the average person gets close to 10% of their calories from omega-6 fatty acids
- The problem with omega-6 fatty acids
- How ditching vegetable oils may be the key to overcoming your keto weight loss plateau
- The evolution of vegetable oils and how we got to this point
- The problem with extracting oils from non-oily foods like corn, cottonseed, and soybeans
- How much you’d actually need to eat of these foods to equal one concentrated tablespoon of vegetable oils
- How vegetable oils are created (hint: it’s not good)
- Why there’s no cold-pressed versions of vegetable oils
- How vegetable oils are cleverly marketed as good for you when they’re anything but
- What happens when you replace soy or corn oil with healthier alternatives
- How consuming corn oil can increase your mortality rate by 364%, according to one study, and what to do instead
- Why most vegetable oils are actually just soybean based
- What happens to infant mortality rates when doctors removed soybean oil and replaced it with fish oil in their intravenous nutrition
- How long the damage lasts in your body when you consume inflammatory oils
- Why consuming vegetable oils is like battling fires inside your body
- Why a “get what you pay for” mentality holds true here
- How to substitute vegetable oils without sacrificing on flavor
- Should you cook with fat?
- How much vegetable oils are really hiding behind common foods such as your favorite Thai curry or even a steak at your local steakhouse
- Why most restaurants use frying oil that’s already rancid and what it means for you
- How cooking with vegetable oils, especially at the wrong heat, led to increased rates of lung cancer in women who don’t smoke
- Why Jeff always carries around his own bottle of avocado oil
- How to avoid vegetable oils when you’re eating out and without ruining your evening out
- What to order at restaurants instead to avoid harmful vegetable oils
- Why aren’t restaurants already using healthier oils?
- The real price difference between cheap vs expensive oils may surprise you
- The global impact of monocrops such as soy and corn
- How global warming is affected by vegetable oils
- How GMO crops are designed to kill bugs and how this affects us
- Exploring algae oil as a healthier alternative to vegetable oil
- The surprising truth about palm oil
- The huge differences between unsustainable palm oil and sustainable versions
- What’s really happening with unsustainable palm oil production and its far-reaching impact
- Why palm oil doesn’t have to be unsustainable and how it can actually improve sustainability when done right while also giving back to the surrounding rainforests
- Why palm oil is an incredible oil for cooking
- What to look for with packaged foods that contain vegetable oils
- The top 10 vegetable oils you should never consume
- The vegetable oil with the highest amount of inflammatory omega-6s (hint: this one may surprise you too)
- The best oils to consume instead
Listen To This Episode
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Keto Answers Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Jeff Nobb’s paleo/keto-friendly restaurant Kitava
- Jeff Nobb’s Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Jeff Nobb’s nutrition tracking software, Trish.io
- Why Kitava Cooks with Palm Oil from Natural Habitats
- Palm Done Right
- The Canola Oil Myth: 10 Reasons Why It’s Damaging Your Health
- Ghee Butter: Next Big Superfood or Total Hoax?
- 9 Grass Fed Butter Health Benefits That Will Make You Ditch Grain-Fed
- The Ultimate Keto Shopping List: The Only Keto Grocery List You’ll Ever Need
- 7 Ways to Follow a Conscious Ketogenic Diet and Help the Environment
- Podcast Episode 031: Thomas DeLauer – Fasting, Training When You’re Keto-Adapted & Balancing Fats and Protein