Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports chiropractor, functional medicine practitioner, entrepreneur, podcast host, and founder of Perfect Keto.
Have you ever felt like no matter what you did, including dieting and exercising, your weight still seems to stay the same?
Is it possible that your body is locked into a set point that’s no longer reversible, due to age, lifestyle, hormones, or some other factor?
And is it true that you can lower your set point by exercising more and eating less and following a calories in vs calories out mentality?
In this podcast episode with guest Jonathan Bailor, a New York Times Bestselling Author of The Calorie Myth and other notable books such as The Smarter Science of Slim and The Set Point Diet, you’ll learn why calorie counting should not be your focus if improving your health and losing weight are your goals.
We’ll explore why that is and what you should put your attention on instead.
Jonathan — who also happens to have over 50k followers on his Twitter, Facebook and YouTube channel combined — also shares his exact formula for eating healthy without counting calories and how to find the serving size that’s right for your body.
You’ll also learn what his top choices are in each category of food.If you were only going to eat 1 vegetable today, kale would do more good for you than carrots. Click To Tweet
And that’s not everything.
In this episode, you’ll also find the answers to these questions and topics:
- Why it’s ridiculous to count calories
- What is the calorie myth?
- Should you focus on calories to improve your health and reduce weight?
- My viewpoint on counting calories
- Why calories aren’t the only thing that matters
- What Harvard Medical research has proven from over 1,300 research papers
- Jonathan’s #1 rule to focus on
- The effect of food on your hormones
- We also discuss Jonathan’s latest book, The Set Point Diet
- What science has shown when it comes to improving your weight
- Is your body really fighting to keep you at a certain weight?
- Why starving yourself and overexercising is a losing battle and what to do instead
- What happens to your body’s set point when it comes to obesity, hypertension, and high blood sugar
- The exact steps to take if you want to lower your set point (hint: it’s not to eat less and exercise more)
- Jonathan’s general rule of thumb when it comes to eating vegetables and remembering which ones to reach for (his mantra blew my mind)
- Should some vegetables have priority over others?
- Jonathan also shares his top pick for the best non-starchy vegetables
- The best sources of nutrient dense proteins
- Jonathan’s thoughts on protein powders, especially for vegans
- He also shares his viewpoint on whey protein powders
- The most optimal whole food fat source and twelve runner up options
- Jonathan’s serving size recommendations for vegetables, protein, fat, and fruit
Listen To This Episode
If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the Keto Answers Podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Mentioned in This Episode
- Jonathan Bailer’s website, SANE Solution, and his background
- Jonathan Bailer’s iTunes, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube channel
- Jonathan’s first book: The Smarter Science of Slim: What the Actual Experts Have Proven About Weight Loss, Dieting, & Exercise
- Jonathan’s New York Times Best Selling hit: The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More, Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better
- And his latest book: The Set Point Diet: The 21-Day Program to Permanently Change What Your Body “Wants” to Weigh
- Diabetes and Diabesity: The Deadly Epidemic Doctors are Ignoring
- The original theory of having a set point came from this book published in 1985 by Gilbert Leveille: The Setpoint Diet
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 025: Craig Emmerich – Getting Weight Loss Results on The Ketogenic Diet and Busting Common Keto Myths
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 039:Anthony Gustin – (Q&A #2) – Exogenous Ketones, MCT Oil, and Fat Burning, Drinking On Keto, and Making Organ Meat Taste Delicious
- The Keto Answers Podcast Episode 035: Chris Irvin – Keto Plateaus: Everything You Need to Know to Bust Through Them
- The Comprehensive Guide to Whey Protein: Everything You Need to Know
- The 7 Benefits of Grass Fed Beef: The Nutritional Powerhouse
- 22 Keto Diet Books and Documentaries You Have to Read (or Watch)