What makes this recipe “loaded” you may ask?
This keto coleslaw combines all of the flavors of a loaded baked potato, minus the potato of course because those are definitely not considered ketogenic. Don’t be fooled into thinking that coleslaw has to be a boring side dish any longer. Bacon (need I say more?), cheddar cheese, crisp freshness from the coleslaw mix, some bite from the green onions, and the perfect balance to these rich flavors with a punch of acidity from the apple cider vinegar. This is not your average coleslaw.
Coleslaw really is a wonderful vegetable option for keto because it’s main component is cabbage. Cabbage, which is considered a cruciferous veggie is a perfect keto option because it’s low in carbohydrates, but also high in nutrition. Some of the health benefits for cruciferous vegetables like cabbage include:
- Decreased cancer risk
- Boosts immunity
- Reduces inflammation
- Protects the brain
- Balances blood sugar
- Supports detoxification
Another important component of this coleslaw which gives the dish it’s unique tang is apple cider vinegar. This is a specific type of vinegar with a long health history. It’s been used for everything from sore throats to treating skin conditions like eczema and varicose veins. In recent years many have also made claims that it can aid in weight loss, reduce bloating and digestive issues, boost heart health, improve the condition of your hair, and even lower blood sugar levels. Apple cider vinegar is a marvelous addition to a wide variety of dishes, sauces, and homemade salad dressings.
The next time you are in a pinch for a healthful side dish to bring to a family gathering, BBQ, or even a simple dinner at home, keep this recipe close. Keto diet or not, you will be making this side dish through the Spring, Summer, and right into the Fall months!Print
Loaded Keto Coleslaw
Dress up any sandwich or side dish with this boldly flavored keto coleslaw that will sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: N/A
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 pieces bacon (reserve bacon grease)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 16 oz coleslaw mix
- 3 heaped tablespoons green onions (chopped)
- Add bacon to a pan and cook until browned and crispy. Remove from pan and let cool. Reserve bacon grease.
- Add mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar to a small bowl. Stir. Pour in reserved bacon grease and mix well until smooth.
- Add cabbage slaw mix, cheddar cheese, and green onion. Toss until well coated. Sprinkle with extra cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onion if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 152
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: Net Carbs: 1g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: Loaded Keto Coleslaw