- In a medium pot, dissolve the gelatin into the coffee, stirring to combine.
- Heat pot over medium heat, stirring until it reaches a boil and thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes
- Use a large syringe to soak up the mixture.
- Gently do small drops of the mixture into very cold oil, gently stirring to make sure the pearls don’t stick together.
- Use a large bowl and a colander to drain the pearls and reserve the oil for later use.
- Pour the pearls into a large bowl filled with cold water, drain, and continue until all remaining oil is off the pearls.
- Use immediately, or put into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Save for later or use in Thai Iced Tea or Vietnamese Iced Coffee.
Notes: if you don’t have a neutral oil or want to use oil, you can omit steps 5-7 and instead, use a dropper to fill a few small mini ice ball molds and refrigerate for 2 hours. Gently pop the pearls out and continue to step 8.