Every now and then a dish comes along that is so rich and so complex that you are certain it took hours to make. This balsamic chicken and mushroom skillet is that dish. Juicy, tender chicken pan roasted to perfection, tangy balsamic vinegar that has been cooked down to a naturally sweetened sauce, and earthy mushrooms that have soaked up all of the flavors around it. This will be one of those keto chicken recipes you crave.
One of my favorite flavors of all time is balsamic vinegar. Unlike other vinegars such as apple cider which has a very strong and acidic taste, balsamic vinegar has naturally complex flavors. Although most people use balsamic vinegar in things like salad dressings, it’s actually amazing to cook with and the rich flavors are intensified even further. The mix of this balsamic vinaigrette with the chicken, mushrooms, onions, and fresh thyme merry so well with one another. One bite and your family will be convinced you spent hours in the kitchen preparing it. Little do they know this is a one pan, quick and easy 30 minutes skillet dinner!
Keto Balsamic Chicken and Mushroom Ingredients
- Chicken – chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- Balsamic Vinegar – traditional red balsamic vinegar
- Vegetables – sliced yellow onions and sliced bella mushrooms
- Coconut Aminos – coconut aminos or gluten free Tamari
- Mustard – dijon mustard
- Monk Fruit – golden monk fruit
- Herbs – thyme or rosemary
How to Make Keto Balsamic Chicken and Mushroom
Add coconut aminos, mustard, balsamic vinegar, and monk fruit to a small bowl. Whisk well until monk fruit is dissolved.
Cook Vegetables & Herbs
Saute onions, mushrooms, thyme, and garlic in olive oil until slightly tender.
Add chicken to pan and brown on both sides for 4-5 minutes. Pour in sauce and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating Keto Balsamic Chicken and Mushroom
Store any unused portions in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to one month. To reheat from the fridge, set skillet over medium heat and cook for 7-8 minutes until warmed through. From the freezer, let thaw in the fridge overnight then heat in a skillet set over medium heat.
Other Cooking Methods for Keto Balsamic Chicken and Mushroom
Make sauce by adding coconut aminos, mustard, balsamic vinegar, and monk fruit to a small bowl. Whisk well until monk fruit is dissolved. Press SAUTE function + 10 minutes on your Instant Pot. Add olive oil and vegetables. Cook for 5-6 minutes until fragrant. Add chicken to pot along with the sauce. Turn Instant Pot off, then press MANUAL + 20 minutes. When timer goes off, release steam manually. Top with fresh herbs to serve.
Make sauce by adding coconut aminos, mustard, balsamic vinegar, and monk fruit to a small bowl. Whisk well until monk fruit is dissolved. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with non stick spray. Add vegetables and chicken to the pan. Season lightly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Pour on sauce and broil for 3-4 minutes until sauce has caramelized.Print
Keto Balsamic Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
Cozy up with this balsamic chicken and mushroom that is layered with rich, deep flavors. This easy dish will make an ordinary weeknight meal feel extra special.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 pound chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1/2 tablespoon monk fruit
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Make sauce by adding balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, monk fruit, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper to a small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk well to combine. Set aside.
- Pour olive oil to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add onions, thyme, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Pour in sauce and reduce heat to low-medium. Add butter and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 348
- Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: keto chicken and mushroom