Perfect Keto’s macadamia nut fat bomb is the best way we know how to have a treat that is literally guilt free and supplies us premium energy for our day. It’s officially time to shake off the fat-phobia and neuroticism from the past 30 years. Americans collectively did a low-fat, high-carb diet experiment and got fatter and sicker. The truth is that every cell in your body needs fat to function properly. When we are in ketosis, fat is our energy. We can literally sub out the word “fat” and replace it with “energy” so this recipe title would the Macadamia Nut Energy Bomb.
Two big things to highlight from a nutritional standpoint:
When you think of macadamia nuts, Hawaii might come to mind, but this nut is actually native to Australia. These are some of the most sought-after nuts in the world, so they can be expensive but they carry huge health benefits.
Macadamia nuts are among the fattiest of all nuts and contain antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Over 80% of the fat in macadamia nuts is monounsaturated, which is the type of fat that even major public health associations admit is beneficial to our cardiovascular system and glucose regulation (which is essential to ketosis). Comparing to even avocados and olive oil, macadamia reigns supreme in the MUFA category.
- Macadamia nuts (1 ounce): 16.5 grams.
- Avocado (1 avocado): 13.3 grams.
- Olive oil (1 tablespoon): 9.8 grams.
Macadamias are also incredibly low in omega-6 fatty acids, which are generally inflammatory. Comparing to an ounce of other types of nuts, macadamias omega-6 levels are microscopic.
- Walnuts: 10.7 grams
- Pecans: 3.7 grams
- Almonds: 3.4 grams
- Cashews: 2.2 grams
- Macadamia nuts: 0.36 gram
See our full guide to Nuts on the Ketogenic Diet for more.
Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT’s)
The MCT’s coming from the coconut oil are going to be huge for us. MCT’s are a type of fat that is metabolized quicker than most, and broken down into useable energy. It also can easily cross the blood-brain barrier, which is why they are so beneficial to our mental clarity and performance. Perfect Keto made a convenient MCT Oil Powder just for this reason, and more can be found in our article Are MCT Supplements Worth Taking?
Enjoy having this fat (energy) bomb on deck to rock your day. PK Pro Tip: Put some in your freezer too. 🙂
Macadamia Nut Fat Bomb
Perfect Keto’s macadamia nut fat bomb is the best way to #treatyouself with premium energy for your day. When we are in ketosis, fat is our energy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil (room temp)
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. erythritol or Swerve
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 macadamia nuts
- Pinch salt
- In a small bowl whisk together the coconut oil, vanilla, sweetener and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Line a small container with parchment paper. Pour in the chocolate mix, use a spatula to spread it thin and evenly along the bottom. I recommend a container no bigger than 4×6.
- Place macadamia nuts in chocolate mix. You can be really systematic about it or make fun shapes. Sprinkle salt lightly all over.
- Place the container in the freezer for 20 minutes. Remove, cut into 6 even squares.
- Store in the freezer for a quick sweet treat or fat bomb.
- Serving Size: 1 Square
- Calories: 99
- Fat: 16.9
- Carbohydrates: 1.9
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 0.8
Keywords: macadamia nut fat bomb
Cristina Curp is the creative mind behind The Castaway Kitchen, a blog dedicated to delicious foods and healing diets. Food is thy medicine and it should taste damn good.