What isn’t good smothered in onions and mushrooms?! This quick chicken dish tastes like a restaurant meal, but it’s even better because it’s cooked in plenty of grass-fed butter! Using canned coconut milk for the sauce, this is one creamy dish that will keep you fat-burning all day.
White vs. Crimini Mushrooms
Whether you decide to use white or crimini mushrooms for this recipe, it’s safe to know that despite the difference in color, they have similar nutritional makeups. They both contain similar vitamin amounts of B12, B6, B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin), all of which are important for proper cardiovascular, digestive, immune, muscular, and nervous system function (so pretty much all the things :))
Don’t sleep on the nutrient density of crimini mushrooms, either! Just one cup of these mushrooms is an excellent source of 15 different vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant phytonutrients. 100 grams of criminis will get you well on your way to your recommended daily calcium, potassium and selenium intake.
Grass-Fed Butter vs. Non-Grass-Fed Butter
While many people opt for whatever butter is first in the grocery aisle, taking the two seconds to grab the grass-fed butter and source a higher quality fat can be better for your health. In the same way that “you are what you eat,” so it goes for the cows and their milk. A better diet will lead to a better fat profile (less inflammatory) and lower concentration of lactose and casein. This all leads to the following health benefits:
- Higher conjugated linoleic acid (CLA): natural trans-fat that has anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties
- Better energy
- Appetite-suppression from MCTs
- Good source of Vitamin A: needed for formation of teeth, skeletal and soft tissues, mucus membrane, skin, and good vision
Fun Fact: With butter color ranging from white to deep yellow, it’s actually the yellow butter you want.Print
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This creamy mushroom chicken dish tastes like a restaurant meal, but it’s even better because it’s cooked in plenty of grass-fed butter!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium heat. While it comes to temperature slice your mushroom and onions.
- Once your skillet is hot, add in two tablespoons of butter. When melted add in the sliced mushrooms, sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Sauté until browned, then add in the onions. Keep stirring until softened, about 6 more minutes. Remove the mushroom and onion mix from the skillet.
- Add in the last tbsp. of butter. Sprinkle your chicken cutlets with the remaining salt and thyme. Place in the skillet side by side. Cook for five minutes on one side. Then flip over. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Then add the mushroom and onion mix back in. Pour the coconut milk right over it. Make sure you shake your can so you get a good mix of coconut milk with fat.
- Let simmer for one minute, remove from heat and serve! Perfect saucy protein to go with a big green salad!
- Calories: 334
- Fat: 27.3
- Carbohydrates: 3.2
- Protein: 24.3
Keywords: creamy mushroom chicken