One of the best things about Fall and Winter is eating dishes that warm the body and the soul. This mushroom chicken recipe is perfect for a quick midweek meal, but your family will think you spent hours in the kitchen because it is so rich and flavorful. These tender chicken thighs smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce, will have the whole family coming back for seconds. If you are looking for the ultimate in comfort food, serve this over mashed steamed cauliflower. Or if you are wanting something a little bit lighter, serve over zucchini noodles.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Variations
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Breast
This recipe will work for a variety of different cuts of chicken. If using chicken breasts, use higher heat and sear on both sides just until browned. Finish cooking in the sauce to prevent meat from drying out. Cooking time will be less using chicken breasts than chicken thighs.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Thighs with Spinach
This is a great recipe to add greens to. Before adding chicken back into the pan, simply stir in two handfuls of baby spinach or kale. Cook for 1-2 minutes until wilted, then add the chicken back to the pan. Arugula would also work great and it will give the dish more of a peppery flavor.
What to Serve with Creamy Mushroom Chicken?
This is a great dish to serve over cooked or mashed riced cauliflower or alongside steamed broccoli and a piece of keto sourdough bread.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken FAQs
What kind of mushroom to use?
Any mushrooms will work in this creamy mushroom chicken recipe, but baby bellas are perfect. They are easily accessible, are available year round, and also have a rich mushroom flavor. Another option would be chanterelles or chopped portobellos.
Can I freeze this creamy mushroom chicken recipe?
Yes! This mushroom chicken recipe is great to prepare ahead of time for future use. Cook according to instructions, let cool completely before storing in an airtight container, and place in the fridge for up to 3 months. When you are ready to prepare it to serve, remove from the freezer, let thaw completely before, and reheat in a large skillet. Use low-medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes until chicken is heated through and creamy mushroom sauce has thickened. You could also empty the frozen dish into an Instant Pot and cook for 7 minutes under high pressure. Release steam manually when the timer goes off.
Should I use chicken breast or thigh for this recipe?
Chicken thighs are a better option for this recipe. Chicken breasts typically dry out quickly and will get tough while the sauce is simmering. Chicken thighs take a bit longer to cook and remain tender even after cooking for a longer period of time.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This one pot creamy mushroom chicken is what comfort food is all about. It is rich, flavorful, and comes together in under 20 minutes. Cozy up this Winter with this new family favorite.
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1–1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/3 cup onions (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add 1 tablespoon to a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Lightly season chicken thighs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 pinch of pepper. Carefully place chicken onto skillet and let brown on one side for 2-3 minutes. Turn and brown on the other side for an additional 2 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and let rest.
- Use an additional tablespoon of olive oil to skillet and add onions, mushrooms, remaining salt & pepper, thyme, and garlic. Cook over low-medium heat for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Deglaze skillet with chicken stock and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add heavy cream, mustard, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. Whisk well to combine and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan and let cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until chicken is completely cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley to serve if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 432
- Fat: 36g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 26g
Keywords: creamy mushroom chicken