Ready for a flavor packed twist to the ordinary dip or condiment? Looking for something that will jazz up your fish, roasted vegetables, and searching for something that is gluten free, vegan and ketogenic? This low carb Romesco sauce will be the delight of every meal. This sauce is also packed with vitamin a and c, along with calcium, and healthy fats. You can certainly bank on the fact that you are eating healthy, while enjoying each and every bite of your meal with this as a condiment. Great with fish, vegetables, or chicken, you will fall in love with it’s uniqueness and bold flavors.
I know, I know….another plain dinner of protein and vegetables. No, please no! While searching for ideas for an “out of the ordinary meal” I stumbled upon an enchanting little dish that included an incredible sauce made with roasted red peppers, garlic, and tomatoes. I wanted to feel like I was living on the edge and eating something that adds zip to my meal and greatness to my plate. Not only has this sauce found its way to my plate, it has become a new addition to my recipe box for special gatherings, charcuterie boards, or to spruce up any protein or vegetable dish. My ordinary dinner will never be the same again. Give this plate popping recipe a try to add pop and flare to your dinner today!
Romesco Sauce Uses
This sauce is best used as a condiment, much like you would use BBQ or even ketchup. Because it has such big, bold flavors a little goes a long way. This Romesco sauce can also be used as a dip for your favorite keto friendly chips, crackers, or even with vegetables. It is an amazing accompaniment to roasted vegetables as well. You can also toss a few tablespoons of this sauce over zucchini noodles for a truly special keto pasta dish.
Romesco Sauce Ingredients
- Roasted Red Peppers – To roast your own peppers, coat 3 large red peppers with olive oil and place them on an open fire and char each side for 1-2 minutes. Remove from flame and place them in a large brown paper bag or in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. This will help steam and cook them a bit longer. After 10 minutes, remove the peppers and peel away the skin. To make this recipe even quicker, buy a jar of roasted red peppers (in olive oil). This will save you precious time.
- Tomato Paste – Instead of using regular tomatoes, tomato paste is far more concentrated with flavor and will not make your sauce watery.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes – These add a unique flavor to the sauce and make it even more rich.
- Walnuts – Romesco sauce is traditionally made with almonds or hazelnuts. However, we have found that lightly toasted walnuts not only add a better flavor and texture, but it also adds healthier fats with more nutritional value.
- Red Wine Vinegar – Adding vinegar or a touch of acidity helps balance flavors out and makes them pop.
- Garlic – Flavors don’t get much more bold than raw garlic. To tame the flavor and pungency, you can roughly chop each clove and saute in olive oil for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This will help bring all of the flavors and textures together in your Romesco sauce.
How to Make Romesco Sauce the Low Carb Way
Recipes don’t get much easier than this. Add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and mix until smooth!
Romesco Sauce FAQs
What does romesco sauce taste like?
This is truly a unique sauce that is hard to explain because the flavors are so complex. It has a slightly sweet, nutty flavor with bold hints of garlic. With the addition of tomato paste and red wine vinegar, this sauce also has the perfect amount of acid that helps bring all of the flavors together.
Can you freeze romesco sauce?
Yes! This is a great recipe to make ahead of time. Add sauce to an airtight container and it can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to store romesco sauce?
This sauce can be stored in a mason jar or any air tight container for up to 5 days.
Browse our curated collection of fan-favorites and discover your new favorite snack or supplement.Shop Best Sellers
Zesty Low Carb Romesco Sauce
Want to fall in love with a new sauce? Then run to your kitchen to make this low carb Romesco sauce, a 5 minute recipe that will spice up any old ordinary dish in a flash!
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 1/2 cup walnuts (lightly toasted)
- 1– 16 ounce jar of roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and mix on high until you reach desired consistency. For a smoother sauce use a blender, for a chunkier sauce use a food processor. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 82
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: romesco sauce