Stuffed peppers are a wonderful example of a perfect low carb ketogenic meal. They are delicious, nutritious, filling, and certain to be a crowd pleaser in your home.
This healthy recipe combines all of the classic flavors of Italy such as spicy sausage, tangy tomato, oregano, and sweet basil, but leaves out the heavy carb filled pasta that can kick someone out of ketosis.
These spicy Italian stuffed peppers are so colorful and enticing, they will be hard to resist.
- Spicy Italian sausage
- Bell peppers
Traditional stuffed peppers are typically made with rice in the filling. One of the reasons why this recipe can remain so low carb and ketogenic is because riced cauliflower is used as a replacement for the starch. You could also use any of the other keto-friendly rice substitutes. In addition to boosting the volume of this dish, cauliflower also has a wide array of health and nutritional benefits as well.
The Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is rich in vitamins, but especially vitamin C.
One serving contains over 75% of the daily recommended value. Vitamin C is responsible for the growth, development, and repair or all tissues in the body. It is also involved in a wide variety of functions such as production of collagen, boosting the immune system, wound healing, and the maintenance of bones, cartilage, and teeth.
Cauliflower contains compounds like carotenoids and tocopherols which act as antioxidants. These help reduce oxidative stress and free radicals caused by the environment, helps fight chronic diseases, and can also aid in balancing hormones.
Cauliflower is both low in calories and high in fiber. This cruciferous vegetable helps to keep us feeling fuller longer which can reduce the amount of our overall food intake. Cauliflower can also reduce constipation and improve digestive issues which can contribute to weight gain.
Whether or not you are on a ketogenic diet for weight loss, exercise performance, mental focus and clarity, or for health concerns recipes such as these spicy italian stuffed peppers will make you wonder how you ever ate any other way. It’s an added bonus that this dish is also delicious and filled with amazing nutrients and health benefits.Print
Spicy Italian Keto Stuffed Peppers
These low carb keto stuffed peppers are loaded with classic Italian flavors and make for the best quick and easy weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 stuffed peppers
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 lb spicy Italian style ground sausage
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup riced cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3 large bell peppers (split in half)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add olive oil to a large pan set to medium heat. Brown Italian sausage for 3-4 minutes.
- Add onions, mushrooms, riced cauliflower, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning until vegetables are mostly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and broth. Stir well to combined. Simmer filling for 8-10 minutes under low-medium heat.
- Stir in parmesan cheese. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Slice peppers in half (lengthwise) and scoop in filling. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown. Garnish with fresh basil.
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: Net Carbs: 8g
- Protein: 27g
Keywords: italian keto stuffed peppers