One of the things I love most about living in this melting pot of a country is the diversity of foods that are readily available to us. You can find virtually every type of cuisine in most American cities and this makes for a great way to sample foods from all over the world. I love being exposed to so many unique dishes that are traditionally made in one area of the globe.
I came across one of these amazing dishes recently when I visited family in Florida. We went to a favorite local spot that served traditional Latin American food and everything was served family style. Big dishes filled with slow cooked stews, soups, vegetables, and sides. Being a nibbler when it comes to meals, I love family style dining because I can sample a little bit of everything. However, as much as I loved getting to taste it all, there was one dish that I kept going back to for more servings. Sancocho. This beef stew was so hearty, had so many robust flavors, and truly just comforted my soul. I knew this was a dish I had to recreate.
Each region of Latin America has its own little spin on their sancocho recipe, but traditionally it is made with beef and a variety of root vegetables. Unfortunately, most root vegetables like potatoes are a no-no on a keto diet, but there are lots of other low carb options available. The herbs, spices, and richness of the meat make this dish, but I think I’ve come up with a delicious and unique keto spin that will leave you going back for one more serving!
Keto Beef Sancocho Ingredients
- Beef – grass fed, organic chuck roast or stew meat
- Beef broth – low sodium stock or broth
- Tomato sauce – no sugar added tomato sauce
- Vegetables – small onion, green bell pepper, carrots, celery, garlic, squash, and celery root
- Spices & Seasonings – whole bay leaves, dried oregano, dried cumin, and adobo seasoning.
How to Make Keto Sancocho
With the Instant Pot set on the SAUTE function, add oil to the pot and sear meat.
Saute vegetables with meat until fragrant.
With the Instant Pot set to the STEW function, cook until the timer goes off.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating
Store any unused portions in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for up to three months. Stews are also one of those dishes that is perfect for prepping ahead of time and freezing. After cooking the stew, let it cool completely before adding to freezer safe containers. When you are ready to reheat, simply add empty container/s into the Instant Pot and press MANUAL 15 minutes. Close valve and release pressure manually when timer goes off.
Keto Sancocho FAQs
Can I use chicken for this recipe?
Yes! Traditionally this is made with beef, but chicken sancocho is every bit as flavorful and delicious. Cut whole chicken breasts into small pieces and brown like you would have with the beef. You could also use whole chicken thighs for a richer taste.
Can I use potatoes in this keto sancocho recipe?
If you are on a ketogenic diet, potatoes would not be ideal in this dish. The celery root in this recipe is the replacement for potatoes and provides a similar starchy texture.
Is there a side dish that goes well with this recipe?
A small salad and a slice of keto sourdough bread would be fantastic alongside this keto sancocho.Print
Instant Pot Keto Beef Sancocho
Transport yourself to Latin America with one taste of this keto sancocho. This flavorful beef stew is cozy and packed with hearty bites.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 cups 1x
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 cup no sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 green pepper (roughly chopped)
- 3 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (roughly chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup squash (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup celeriac root (roughly chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning
- 2–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add olive oil to your Instant Pot and press the SAUTE function +10 minutes. Lightly season meat with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper When the pot gets hot, add beef pieces and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. Remove and place on a plate. Work in batches to make sure there is enough room in between meat. This will ensure the meat sears and does not steam.
- Add onions, green pepper, carrots, celery, garlic, squash, and celery root to the pan. Saute for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, and all of the seasonings to the pot. Stir well and adjust seasonings to taste. Return meat to the pan.
- Turn Instant Pot off, then press the STEW function button +30 minutes. Close valve.
- When the timer goes off, release pressure manually. Stir and serve. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 12g
Keywords: beef sancocho