Lemonade is synonymous with summertime; the two just go hand in hand. However, most lemonade options are way too high carb to fit into the meal plan when you’re following a ketogenic diet. Typically a serving of lemonade will rack up a carb count of about 30 grams — that’s a direct ticket out of ketosis.
With this low-carb refreshing lemonade, you get to enjoy this summer drink while staying in ketosis; it’s the best of both worlds. This keto lemonade recipe is:
The main ingredients are:
- Perfect Keto Strawberry Lemonade Base
- Fresh lemon juice
Optional additional ingredients
3 Health Benefits of This Keto Lemonade
Eating a low-carb diet will get you into ketosis, but sometimes you may want to boost your ketones even further. During the beginning stages of the diet, it can make a huge difference to take exogenous ketones as this will help bridge the gap between glucose-burning and ketone-burning.
However, even if you’re fully keto-adapted, boosting your blood ketones can provide an extra hit of energy when you most need it. Some research even suggests that consuming ketones before a workout can give you a competitive edge[*].
Rich In Antioxidants
Berries are well-known to be a fantastic source of antioxidants, and strawberries are no exception. This fruit not only comes packed with vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant that can also boost the function of another antioxidant, but it also contains ellagic acid, an antioxidant that has also been studied for its anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic activity[*][*].
Everyone loves a refreshing homemade lemonade on a hot summer day, but if you’re following a keto diet, most of the options you’ll find on the shelves are off-limits. The answer? Make your own sugar-free lemonade!
Tips For Making Keto Lemonade:
There are plenty of keto-friendly ways to enjoy this refreshing lemonade if you want to switch it up a bit. Here are some tips:
- Add a little sea salt to give your lemonade more depth of flavor (think: keto margarita).
- Switch up the sweetener; some people prefer one type of sugar-free sweetener over the other due to aftertaste. You can go with stevia or change things up and try out erythritol, monk fruit, or swerve.
- If you want to really get fancy, try adding a few different types of berries. If you love blueberries, drop a few in your glass. The same goes for blackberries, raspberries, and so on.
How To Make Keto Lemonade
This recipe is really simple to whip up. Start by grabbing your lemon squeezer and squeeze about 1/4 of a cup of lemon juice into a small bowl. Next, pour the lemon juice into a blender, and add in your Perfect Keto Strawberry Lemonade Base, water, strawberries, mint leaves, stevia, and ice cubes, and blend them together until well combined. Pour your lemonade into a glass, and enjoy.
Tangy Keto Strawberry Lemonade
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and mix on high for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour over ice and serve with a sliced lemon, garnish with mint.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 21
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 1g (1g net)
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
Keywords: keto lemonade