When dinner calls for Indian or Mediterranean takeout, one of the things I crave the most is the warm, fluffy naan bread that is served alongside each dish. It is great for soaking up amazing sauces, for bites in between the main dishes, and even in lieu of utensils! Just pile up a delicious spoonful of the main dish onto a torn piece of naan and devour it. The perfect bite of food every single time.
Traditionally naan is made with yeast and regular white which will not make for an ideal ketogenic food. So to remedy this problem and make it low carb naan, we just need to replace the flour and sugar. Easy enough! Using a mixture of almond four and collagen will produce the most wonderful fluffy texture. An added bonus is this keto naan recipe can be prepared in less than 20 minutes!
What is Keto Naan?
Naan is a type of bread used in Western Asia, Central Asia, and Middle Eastern cuisines. It is different from pita which is thinner and flat. Naan is thicker and more dense. Traditionally it is made with yeast which produces the fluffy texture and a deeper flavor. Naan is also usually baked in a clay oven which produces the toasted brown blisters that create such a beautiful flavor and texture. In a modern kitchen though, a beautiful and low carb naan can also exist and in this variation, it is completely keto!
Keto Naan Bread Ingredients
- Almond Flour- unbleached fine almond flour.
- Collagen- unflavored collagen or whey protein.
- Leavening- baking soda and baking powder will produce a great fluffy texture.
- Mozzarella Cheese- low moisture cheese which helps stabilize the dough.
- Cream Cheese- full fat cream cheese, room temperature for easy melting.
- Egg- large, whole eggs.
Keto Naan Bread Variations
Keto Naan Bread with Garlic
Add a ton of rich flavor by adding 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder to the dry ingredient mixture. When you take the naan out of the oven after baking, brush each side with a mixture of fresh garlic and melted before charring on the cast iron skillet.
Keto Naan Bread with Yeast
For a deeper and more traditional naan flavor, you can also use yeast in this recipe. Add 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast and warm (not hot) water to a bowl. You will also need to add a teaspoon of sugar or honey (not keto) to activate the yeast properly. Let this mixture sit for 5 minutes. Once it begins to bubble and become more fragrant, you can add the dry ingredients and continue recipe as shown.
How to Make Keto Naan Bread
Add dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk well to combine.
Melt mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in the microwave, stir to smooth.
Add dry ingredients to the melted cheese mixture and mix until well incorporated. Divide and portion dough into small ovals and place on your baking sheet.
Browse our curated collection of fan-favorites and discover your new favorite snack or supplement.Shop Best Sellers
Bake just until slightly puffy and the center is cooked through.
Brush naan with butter or add non-stick spray to a cast iron skillet. On high heat, char each side until golden brown blisters form.
Keto Naan Bread FAQs
Can you make keto naan bread in a skillet?
This recipe is best baked in the oven first and then charred in a hot cast iron skillet.
Can you freeze keto naan bread?
Yes! Separate any leftover portions of low carb naan with parchment paper, then place in a freezer safe container. Seal well and this can be stored in the freezer for up to one month. To reheat, let naan defrost in the fridge overnight, then bake in a 400°F oven for 5-7 minutes until warm.
Keto Naan Bread
Prepare yourself for one of the best naan flatbread recipes you will ever come across! This naan bread is soft, fluffy, and so easy to make. The best part? It’s low carb and perfect for your keto diet.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1–1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 scoop Perfect Keto unflavored collagen
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon golden monk fruit
- 1–1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add almond flour, collagen, baking powder, baking soda, monk fruit, and salt to a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Add cream cheese and mozzarella cheese to a large bowl and place in the microwave. Cook in 30 second increments until the cheese is melted. Remove from the microwave and stir until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and egg to the cheese mixture and mix until well combined.
- Let dough rest for 5-10 minutes until cooled.
- Divide dough into small ovals and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes until naan is cooked through the center. Remove from the oven.
- Using a cast iron skillet, spray the surface with non-stick spray or add butter. Toast each piece of naan until golden brown on each side. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g(Net Carbs: 5 g)
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 14 g