When you think of this Middle Eastern bread, chances are you picture a flat, round sort of dough, but what actually is naan and where does it come from?
Naan in Persian actually means “bread”. Naan is a leavened flatbread found in traditional cuisine throughout the Middle East, Central Asia, and South Asia.
The traditional way to cook naan includes mixing white flour with a yeast culture and enough yogurt to make the dough an elastic consistency. As you can probably guess, this is not low carb or keto friendly. However, this Keto Naan recipe is the perfect alternative to your favorite flatbread.
This Keto Naan contains a total of only 223 calories, including 18.8 grams of healthy fats, twelve grams of carbs, eight and a half grams of net carbs and three grams of protein. The ingredients for this particular recipe include coconut flour, flax meal, garlic powder, himalayan sea salt, baking powder, full fat coconut milk, one egg, and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
When it comes to coconut milk, it’s important to make sure you’re using a naturally sourced coconut milk full of healthy fats. Otherwise, you could be missing out on some serious benefits. Full fat coconut milk has been shown to improve the health and function of your heart, prevent fatigue by providing optimal hydration and medium-chain triglycerides, decrease constipation, improve the function of your digestive system, and even help to burn fat and build muscle.
While this Keto Naan can be served up warm and fresh with a delicious slab of grass fed butter, there are multiple ways to serve this Middle Eastern treat. This Keto Naan can be a great base for Keto Pizza, low carb tortillas, sandwich wraps, a satiating dessert crust, low carb fajitas, keto quesadillas, or even served up with some low carb hummus or another sauce of your choice.
No matter which way you decide to serve this particular Keto Naan recipe, you’re guaranteed to feel nice and full without much concern of going over your keto macros for the day.Print
Oven-Baked Keto Naan
This tasty keto naan is a great low carb substitute to your favorite flatbread, packing all the healthy fats without the abundant amount of carbs your typical bread provides.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1/3 cup fine ground coconut flour
- 1 tsp golden flax meal
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and vinegar.
- Sift in the dry ingredients as you whisk the mix.
- Then set the bowl aside for 10 minutes while the batter thickens to a dough.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Shape 4 naan breads. About ¼ inch thick, 4 inches long and 2-3 inches wide.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until light golden with browned edges.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with olive oil, and serve! Store leftovers in an airtight container
- at room temp for up to 2 days. Toast to heat.
- Calories: 223
- Fat: 18.8g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1g (Net Carbs: 8.5g)
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: keto naan