When someone mentions a classic dish like Salisbury steak, people automatically think of an older generation when “TV dinners” were all the rage. I think mothers loved this dish back in the day because it was easy to prepare, inexpensive to make, and could feed a crowd in a short amount of time. Not to mention, Salisbury steak also makes for a very delicious and comforting meal. It was a staple in kitchens across the country and for very good reason.
These days though classic dishes like Salisbury steak have lost popularity. I’m here to tell you that you are missing out! There is something to be said about tender beef and sauteed vegetables drowning in the most rich and creamy sauce you can imagine. The next time you are pressed for time and need a healthy meal on the table in less than 30 minutes, definitely give this one a try. Your family will fall in love with this dish and you will appreciate just how easy it is to make!
Keto Salisbury Steak Ingredients
- Ground Beef – 85%/15% lean ground beef
- Onion – one small onion thinly sliced
- Mushrooms – sliced bella or crimini mushrooms
- Ketchup – no sugar added ketchup
- Worcestershire Sauce – adds a great depth of flavor
- Cream – heavy cream and cream cheese
- Broth – beef stock, beef broth, or bone broth
How to Make Keto Salisbury Steak
Combine ground beef, ketchup, mustard, almond flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix together ensuring all ingredients are well incorporated. Portion and form into patties. Cook until browned on both sides.
How to Make Keto Mushroom Gravy
Saute onions and mushrooms together in your pan until fragrant and slightly tender. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine. Add steaks back to pan and let simmer until gravy has thickened.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating Keto Salisbury Steak
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, add steaks to a small pan set over low-medium heat. You can also store in the freezer for up to 30 days.
Keto Salisbury Steak FAQs
Can I use ground turkey for this keto Salisbury steak recipe?
Absolutely! Just keep in mind that the flavors will not be as rich using a leaner cut of meat like turkey or chicken.
Can I use regular flour to thicken up the gravy even more?
Unfortunately, white flour is not considered keto friendly. It will increase the amount of carbs in this dish.
Can you make this keto Salisbury steak ahead of time?
Yes! This dish actually tastes even better the following day when the flavors have had more time to blend with one another. It is a great recipe to use for meal prep.Print
Keto Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Enjoy this easy one pan, comfort food classic, keto Salisbury steak any night of the week. You will love this tender beef smothered in a rich and creamy gravy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 8 ounces cremini or bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cups beef bone broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar free ketchup
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over low-medium heat.
- Combine ground beef, almond flour, ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix until ingredients are well incorporated. Portion steaks and flatten into patties.
- Add oil to the pan and cook patties for 4-5 minutes per side. When cooked through, remove from the pan and let rest.
- Add butter to the pan along with onions and mushrooms. Saute for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, cream, salt, and pepper to the pan. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Let sauce cook for 5-6 minutes and stir in heavy cream and cream cheese.
- Return steaks to the pan and let simmer for an additional 5-6 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste if needed.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and garnish with fresh parsley to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 steak
- Calories: 365
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 25g
Keywords: keto salisbury steak