If you are anything like me, you could win a gold medal for on the go eating. Between bringing kids to school early in the morning, afternoon sports, and evening meetings we all seem to be pressed for time. It makes eating healthy quite a difficult task. Fortunately there are a few recipes I keep in my back pocket that help take the guesswork out of at least one meal of the day: breakfast! This is one of those recipes which also happen to be gluten free, keto friendly, budget friendly, and oh so easy to make.
These days everyone is familiar with the famous Starbucks egg bites. They are cute, portable, and great for on the go eating. Recently though, I did take a glance at the nutrition facts and realized that although they are gluten free, they contain a lot of questionable ingredients. Maltodextrin, canola oil, and “bioengineered food ingredients”. No thank you!!! Once this came to light I set out to create a very simple low carb sous vide recipe that would rival the famous brands egg bites and I was completely successful. These egg bites have a wonderful fluffy texture and are loaded with all of your favorite breakfast flavors like bacon and cheese! The best part? You can make them ahead of time and take them with you on the go anytime, anywhere!
Keto Sous Vide Egg Bites Ingredients
- Eggs – large, whole eggs
- Bacon – thick cut, applewood smoked
- Cheese – shredded cheddar cheese
- Heavy Cream – makes egg bites rich and fluffy
- Ricotta Cheese – whole milk ricotta creates more texture and density
How to Make Keto Sous Vide Egg Bites
Add eggs, heavy cream, ricotta cheese, salt, and pepper to a large bowl or blender. Beat on high until light and fluffy.
Add bacon, cheese, and egg mixture to each of the vessels in the mold.
Using the steam function on your Instant Pot, cook for 6 minutes. Release pressure manually to serve.
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating
These low carb sous vide egg bites refrigerate and freeze beautifully. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 30 days. To reheat, let thaw frozen sous vide egg bits in the fridge overnight. To reheat, microwave on high for 20-30 seconds. You can also reheat them in your Instant Pot using the steam function for 1-2 minutes.
Keto Sous Vide Egg Bites FAQs
Can I add different vegetables and meats to these sous vide egg bites?
Yes! Feel free to use sausage and any other vegetables you have on hand. This is a great base recipe and can easily be adjusted to suit your preferences.
Can these sous vide egg bites be prepared ahead of time?
Absolutely! These are a great option for meal preparation at the beginning of the week. The egg bites travel well, are portable, and can be eaten on the go.
Do I need to use the silicon mold to cook these sous vide egg bites?
Any small silicon mold will work. You can also use plain silicone cupcake holders if you have those on hand.Print
Keto Sous Vide
The ultimate in healthy, portable food! These sous vide egg bites can be made in under 10 minutes and you will love how light and airy they are.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minutes
- Yield: 7 egg bites 1x
- 5 eggs
- 3 slices of bacon (cooked)
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add eggs, ricotta cheese, heavy cream, salt, and pepper in a high speed blender or large bowl. MIx on high for 20-30 seconds until fluffy.
- Add crumbled bacon and 1-2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese to the bottom of your silicone mold. Divide and portion egg mixture evenly into the mold.
- Place the trivet into the bottom of the Instant Pot and carefully place the filled mold on top. Replace lid and close valve.
- Press STEAM +6 minutes. When the timer goes off, release pressure manually.
- Serve egg bites with avocado, salsa, and fresh herbs if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 egg bite
- Calories: 117
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: keto sous vide