Dr. Anthony Gustin is a board-certified sports chiropractor, functional medicine practitioner, entrepreneur, podcast host, and founder of Perfect Keto.
You may have heard of collagen, but keto collagen…? Do a quick google search and you might not find too much out there. Ketogenic nutrition is just coming into the mainstream. The good news is, keto is quickly becoming one of the best-researched diets on the planet.
The science and anecdotal experience from keto dieters is promising. From fat loss to higher brain function, to soaring energy, the list of keto diet benefits are long — and growing!
Here, we’ll talk about the importance of adding a high-quality collagen supplement to your diet, plus why we decided to make it keto.
In this article, you’ll learn:
Keto Collagen is a blend of MCTs and grass-fed collagen powder. These are some of the healthiest fats and proteins on the planet.
The purpose of keto collagen is to give you great energy and recovery in one convenient scoop. A ketogenic diet can be difficult to get used to. Keto collagen will help you set yourself up for success, especially in those first few weeks when the keto flu can hit.
When you’re in a ketogenic state, your body switches from using glucose and glycogen (stored glucose) as fuel and starts to burn fat as fuel.
But even when you’re not in ketosis, you need fat to:
- Make hormones
- Make neurotransmitters
- For cell function
- For brain function
- For energy
First, What Are MCTs?
Like most foods, there are healthy and unhealthy types and sources. MCTs are one of the most efficient and highest quality fats on the planet.
Short for medium-chain triglycerides, MCTs are a type of fatty acid that bypass normal digestion and rarely get stored as body fat. Instead, they’re processed through your liver and turned into ketones, which your brain and body use as a super efficient energy source.
Bottom line: MCTs are a quick, clean energy source you will burn, not store as body fat.
The benefits of MCTs include:
- Better Weight Loss – MCTs are easily digested and have a thermogenic (energy-creating) effect, aka, they’re known for “boosting your metabolism.”
- Better Energy – MCTs are fast-acting source of energy. They break down into ketones which can then be used as fuel for your body.
- Better Digestion – MCTs support your gut microbiome by combating harmful bacteria and parasites.
- Better Overall Health – MCTs contain antioxidant properties which reduce internal inflammation. This is great news for your heart, brain, and nervous system.
Collagen provides the best protein for your skin, hair, joints, and other soft tissue. That’s why it’s quickly becoming one of the most popular supplements on the planet.
The word collagen comes from Greek roots that literally mean “glue-producing.” Collagen makes up 25% of your body’s protein content and is helpful in soft-tissue repair.
Collagen Aids In:
- Energy production
- Building healthy DNA
- Detoxification and digestion
- Rebuilding joints, tendons, cartilage, skin, nails, hair, and your gut lining
- A type of protein – 1 of over 10,000 in your body.
- In water, collagen breaks into gelatin. They are the same amino acids with a different chemical structure. Think of them as the same tool, but different packaging.
Collagen protein from grass-fed beef is made in the same way that bone broth is made, low and slow heating to preserve the nutrition.
Keto Collagen was made to aid in energy and recovery. So, anytime you’re asking yourself how you can use Keto Collagen, think, “When could I use some good, convenient energy and recovery?” Here are some popular ways we see people using Keto Collagen.
In The Morning or Afternoon During Work
- MCTs metabolize quickly in your body, which means they turn from fatty acid into ketones for your body to burn as energy. Since your brain uses about 20% of your total daily energy expenditure, some Keto Collagen before or during work isn’t a bad idea.
- This is not a stimulant for the perception of alertness. Keto Collagen is real energy.
- MCTs are fuel for your body and mind, especially on a low-carb diet. When we talk about “fat-burning” we are literally describing fatty acids like MCTs being metabolized into ketones and shuttling energy to your cells.
- Collagen protein plays a huge role in the regeneration of muscles, joints, connective tissues, and ligaments, so many people like to take collagen supplements before or after a workout.
Anytime Ketogenic Protein/Fat Snack
- Get the best quality protein and fats, anytime, without carbohydrates or fake ingredients.
This depends on you and your goals. Many people start with half a scoop and increase from there. You can experiment with 0.5-3 scoops per day, depending on how much you’re exercising, your weight-loss or weight-gain goals, or if you’re traveling and don’t have easy access to healthy options. Here are some ideas! 🙂
Keto Collagen is a completely clean product. It doesn’t contain any soy, dairy, gluten, artificial sweeteners, or anything that doesn’t directly improve your health. It also tastes phenomenal. Perfect Keto comes in a delicious chocolate flavor that goes great in almost any beverage, coffee or smoothie you can dream up. It’s also great in just plain water!
Summary – Keto Collagen
If you are not already boosting your dietary collagen and MCTs, try some Keto Collagen consistently for a few weeks. Treat this as research and periodically check in with your body. Ask your knees how they feel the day after squatting. Ask your elbows, hips, ankles, etc. the same. Also, ask yourself how your gut feels, how your energy levels have been. Enjoy and please reach out with any questions big or small.