Everyone knows the feeling of having endless amounts of leftovers the week after a big holiday meal. Although delicious, by day three people are definitely tired of eating the same plate of food. Side dishes are normally finished, but there still seems to be a few servings of turkey left in the fridge. Instead of making the family have the same meal three days in a row, I really wanted to do something different with our leftovers. I don’t think any of us expected how glorious this one pot meal would be. I will go out on a limb and say it might be one of the best dishes we have had all year!
Get ready for one of the easiest and best recipes you will ever make. Although it is made traditionally made with your leftover turkey from the holiday season, it can easily be made throughout the year with a store bought rotisserie chicken that is equally delicious. We have no doubt that this dish will make it to your dinner table multiple times in the year and each time you have it, you will wonder why you don’t make it even more!
White Turkey Chili Ingredients
- Turkey- Roughly chop or shred leftover turkey. You can also use a rotisserie chicken throughout the year.
- Vegetables- Green pepper, onion, garlic, and green chilis for classic flavors.
- Turkey or Chicken Stock- You can also use bone broth for an even richer flavor.
- Taco Seasoning- Premade taco seasoning is the easiest option, but this it typically just a simple blend of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and paprika. If you can’t find a high quality taco seasoning, use 1/4 teaspoon of each for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese- room temperature or cold
- Heavy Cream- useful fat coconut milk for a dairy free dish
White Turkey Chili Cooking Methods
As written, this white turkey chili recipe only takes less than 20 minutes to prepare but you do have to stir and add ingredients during that time. To make things even easier or to prepare the meal ahead of time, you can also use your crock pot or Instant Pot.
Slow Cooker White Turkey Chili
First saute your onions, pepper, jalapeno, and garlic in one tablespoon of olive oil until slightly tender. Then add them and all remaining ingredients to your crock pot. Stir and let cook on low heat for 8 hours or high heat for 3 hours.
Instant Pot White Turkey Chili
With your Instant Pot set to SAUTE +5 minutes, cook your green pepper, onions, jalapeno, and garlic until fragrant and slightly tender. Turn Instant Pot OFF, then add your spices, green chilis, turkey, chicken broth, and cream cheese. Stir well to combine. Replace lid, then turn Instant Pot to MANUAL +10 minutes, close valve. Carefully release pressure and remove lid. Stir in heavy cream and serve.
How to Make White Turkey Chili
Cook onion, pepper, jalapeno, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large pot until fragrant and slightly tender.
Add all remaining ingredients to your pot and stir well to combine. Let chili come to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until vegetables are completely tender and mixture has thickened.
Serve chili with sliced avocado, sour cream, fresh lime, and any other Tex-Mex toppings you prefer.
White Turkey Chili FAQs
Can I add flavor to white turkey chili?
Using taco seasoning will add a ton of flavor to your turkey! It will also be a nice change from the traditional holiday flavors. Letting the turkey soak up the spices and cook in the broth will also bring back a lot of moisture the turkey may have lost being sliced and stored in the fridge.
What’s the difference between white chili and regular chili?
Traditional chili is typically made with tomatoes and white chili is not. The spices and flavors are very similar, but the texture will be completely different as well. Chili is also usually a much thicker consistency, while this healthy white turkey chili is more similar to a hearty soup.
Creamy White Turkey Chili
Use up all of that leftover Turkey and cozy up to a big bowl of this white turkey chili! The best part? The best part? It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, but it tastes like you’ve been cooking it for hours!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 pound shredded or roughly chopped leftover turkey meat
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 jalapeno (minced and seeds removed)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces diced green chilis
- 4 cups turkey or chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Sour Cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Lime Juice
- In a large pot, add avocado oil and cook bell peppers, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute under low-medium heat until slightly tender.
- Stir in meat, green chilis, and all seasonings.
- Pour in stock and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and heavy cream. Simmer for 15 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: white turkey chili