Most Ketonians love their bacon. This keto power breakfast recipe will take your BAE (Bacon and Eggs) to a whole new level, and the special keto-friendly green sauce might be top five pesto’s we’ve ever had. Bonus: no standing at the stove getting hot and greasy. This delicious keto power breakfast with green sauce is the perfect way to start your weekend and dominate the day.
Remember: The classical ketogenic diet consists of low amounts of carbohydrates, moderate protein levels, and high fat intake. We have to be mindful of making sure we maintain ketosis by not going too crazy with the protein load.
The ketogenic diet also calls for quality over quantity. In other words, source matters—especially when it comes to the bacon and eggs. There is a huge difference between poorly raised pigs and chicken, and responsibly raised.
The responsibly raised animals provide much more nutrients, and have a much better omega 3 to omega 6 ratio. This means you will feel better and experience less inflammation.
See Dr. Anthony Gustin’s post on finding the best eggs and seek out nutritious, heritage/pastured pork sources. Doing so will help make this meal jam packed with healthy, nutrient-dense fats and help you rock the rest of your day.
Keto Green Sauce
This isn’t the traditional pesto you might be used to, but it doesn’t stray from the nutty flavor. This keto green sauce can be made with a combination of almost any greens and herbs you have lying around. It’s packed with garlic and olive oil and brings in low carb hemp heart to achieve the nutty cheesy texture.
If you recall our post on the pros and cons of nuts on the ketogenic diet, we discussed that nuts are rich in healthy fats and are typically low carb. Furthermore, we compared the nuts that are lower carb and better for the keto diet.
Pine nuts, commonly used in pesto sauces, have higher carbohydrate content relative to other nuts. That’s why we use a substitute that is lower in carbs and is richer in healthy, good fats: hemp hearts.
Hemp hearts contain over 30% fat and have an almost perfect balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. They are also a great source of vitamin E and minerals like potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc.
Mix it all up with the greens, add it to that beautiful bacon bouquet, and you’ve found a perfectly balanced keto meal.Print
Keto Power Breakfast with Green Sauce
This keto power breakfast with green sauce takes bacon and eggs to a whole new level while giving you a taste of your favorite flavorful pesto.
- Prep Time: 0 hours 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup baby spinach (baby kale)
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup parsley (or cilantro or basil etc)
- 5 medium garlic cloves
- 5 tbsp of hemp hearts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 eggs
- 20 asparagus tips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Green Sauce: Combine baby spinach, arugula, parsley, garlic cloves, hemp hearts and olive oil in a blender or food processor and blend on low until well combined and almost smooth. Set aside.
- On a sheet pan arrange your bacon slices into rings, arrange the rings in a circle.
- Pop the sheet pan in the oven and set it to 350F. When the oven comes to temperature, remove the sheet pan from the oven (don’t turn it off). Tuck 4 asparagus tips into each bacon ring.
- Move your bacon rings closer together if needed, and then crack two eggs in between them.
- Add your green sauce, sprinkle a little salt and pepper and pop back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and dig in! No need for plates. Makes enough for two!
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 27.4
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Protein: 10.6
Keywords: keto power breakfast with green sauce