If you’re an Italian food fan they’re you’re very familiar with traditional lasagna — it tends to be a family favorite.
However, on the keto diet, you need to make a few adjustments if you want to indulge in this comfort food.
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can also use a crockpot or any other type of slow cooker. You could even go old school and use a standard large pot.
This lasagna soup recipe is:
The main ingredients are:
- Italian sausage
- Chicken broth
Optional additional ingredients:
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil
- Italian seasoning
3 Health Benefits of Lasagna Soup
#1: Skin Protective
Before you slather on another coat of SPF you may want to check in with your diet — food has a significant impact on the health of your skin.
And when it comes to skin-loving foods, tomatoes are one of the most impactful.
When you consume foods that are high in antioxidant compounds like carotenoids and flavonoids, they travel to the tissues in your body that are most exposed to light. Here they protect your tissues from UV damage.
Tomatoes are rich in the plant compound lycopene, which is a type of carotenoid. Studies show that ingestion of lycopene, or tomato derived products that are rich in lycopene, can have a significant effect on skin health.
In fact, after 10-12 weeks of intervention, lycopene appears to decrease sensitivity towards UV light-induced sun damage. In this way, it acts as an internal sunscreen[*].
#2: Supports Heart Health
The health benefits of garlic could be a post all its own. However, one of the most well-studied benefits of consuming garlic is its impact on cardiovascular health.
It should come as no surprise that the quality of your diet impacts this essential and delicate organ. Consuming foods that are anti-inflammatory and high in antioxidants is an integral part of your overall health — particularly your heart health.
Consuming garlic regularly has a cholesterol-lowering effect, and also decreases serum triglycerides. While cholesterol on its own is not necessarily a cause for alarm, when cholesterol becomes oxidized, it can lead to complications like atherosclerotic plaques.
One study found that consuming garlic for two months led to an 8% reduction in total serum cholesterol. The researchers reported that this number is associated with a 38% reduction in the risk of coronary events for people 50 years of age and older[*].
#3: Balances Blood Sugar
When following a keto diet, one of your primary goals is to keep your blood sugar low, so you can keep your ketones high. The way to manage this? Through food.
Onions are a great source of the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound quercetin. Quercetin is a powerful compound that’s well known for its protective effects against diabetes, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, and heart disease.
As an anti-diabetes agent, quercetin may lower blood glucose by inhibiting glucose absorption in the small intestine. It also seems to assist in the release of insulin and improves the utilization of glucose by peripheral tissues. In other words, it helps your cells take in glucose to be used as fuel instead of just hanging out in your blood[*].
Next time the mood strikes for a little Italian inspired soup, grab a bowl and gather your ingredients for this delicious lasagna soup.Print
Looking for some comfort food in a bowl? Forget traditional lasagna and opt for lasagna soup with Italian sausages, ricotta cheese, and tomatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- 1 pound Italian Sausages
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 3 zucchini’s (sliced into thin pieces)
- 3 cups chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- Turn Instant Pot on and press SAUTE function + 10 minutes. Brown sausages for 5 minutes, remove, and slice into half-inch disks, return to pot. Add olive oil, onions, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate.
- Pour in tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Turn Instant Pot off, then back on and press MANUAL + 20 minutes. Replace lid and close valve.
- When the timer goes off, release the pressure manually and remove the lid. Stir in zucchini noodles and let sit for 5-10 minutes until softened to desired texture.
- Portion and serve with a dollop of ricotta cheese, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 209
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 9g (7g net)
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 19g
Keywords: lasagna soup