Yeah, not exactly what you expect when you think low carb, high fat meal—but it’s real! This slow cooked bbq pulled beef sando is made with a homemade sauce that has all the flavor and none of the junk! Put it on a keto bun, slap on some greens and a healthy dollop of paleo mayo (we’re partial to the One Minute Mayo or Primal Kitchen for store-bought). As for the bread, you can use the single serving low carb bread or a store bought alternative like Mikey’s Muffins. What you’ll end up with is a hearty sandwich that’s perfect for your lunch or dinner!
What’s in the Sauce?
If you’re known to just go for the popular store-brand BBQ sauces, be wary of what’s in them. Soy sauce is a common ingredient in BBQ sauce, but it is often associated with many hormonal cancers and diseases. I have to admit, soy sauce does enhance the flavor of my meals; however, any additives or processes used to lengthen the shell life of any product can’t be a good thing, right? Unfortunately, that’s what usually happens with soy products—they consist of additives like MSG and in most cases are genetically modified. Instead, there’s a tasty yet healthy substitute out there: Coconut Aminos! Coconut aminos are gluten-free, soy-free, MSG-free, non-GMO, organic, kosher, vegan, and like other coconut products, provide health benefits like:
- Increased HDL cholesterol
- Heart health promotion
- Regulation of blood pressure levels
- Stronger immune system
- Promote mental health
We’d much rather know what exactly the ingredients are that go into the foods we make. The same goes for condiments and sauces. There’s no more reason to reach for the most popular bottles of BBQ sauce once you find out how easy it is to make your own homemade sauce like the one used in this recipe.
BBQ Pulled Beef Sando
This slow cooked bbq pulled beef sando is made with a homemade sauce that has all the flavor and none of the junk – perfect for a hearty afternoon sandwich.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours-12 hours
- Total Time: -232 minute
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 3lbs Boneless Chuck Roast
- 2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 1/4 cup melted Kerrygold Butter
- Trim the fat off of the beef and cut in to two large pieces.
- In a small bowl mix together the salt, garlic, onion, paprika and black pepper. Then rub it all over the beef. Place the beef in your slow cooker.
- In another bowl melt the butter, whisk in the tomato paste, vinegar and coconut aminos. Pour it all over the beef. Then add the bone broth to the slow cooker, pouring it around the beef.
- Set on low and cook for 10-12 hours. When done, remove the beef, set the slow cooker to high and let the sauce thicken. Shred the beef then add it back in to the slow cooker and toss with sauce. Serve!
Macros per sandwich with single serving bread + mayo
Cals 710 F 64 C10.6 (7.6 NC) P 16.6
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 15.1
- Carbohydrates: 3.6
- Protein: 5.1
Keywords: bbq pulled beef sando