Pot roast is the perfect comfort food. While traditional pot roast is served with russet or Yukon gold potatoes and crusty bread, this keto version skips the carbs but keeps the savory goodness.
But why cook in an instant pot?
Preparing pot roast stew on a stovetop is time-consuming and can leave you with a mess in the kitchen. Instant pot recipes, on the other hand, take the guesswork out of cooking.
Pressure cooking is a great way to get a meal on the table after work or when you’re running around on the weekends. Just add your ingredients, set the cooker, and walk away.
This instant pot beef stew recipe is:
The main ingredients are:
- Perfect Keto Unflavored Collagen
- Beef chuck
- Bone broth
Optional additional ingredients
- Olive oil
- Bay leaf
- Beef stock
Health Benefits of Instant Pot Beef Stew
Excellent Source of Protein
When following a keto diet, it can be easy to let protein fall to the wayside. With so many delicious fat-rich recipes, sometimes protein gets the backburner.
Historically, some people worried that consuming protein would kick you out of ketosis. Luckily, for most people, protein consumption won’t affect your ketones and can actually help you maintain healthy muscle mass[*].
With over 40 grams of protein per serving, this beef stew recipe provides an excellent source that’s low enough in carbs (only 2.6 net) to keep your ketones humming.
Supports Gut Health
Specifically, research shows that glycine can help calm and repair irritation that occurs along the intestinal lining due to drugs, chemicals, or other irritants[*].
While glycine is technically a non-essential amino acid, meaning you can make it on your own, many people don’t get enough of this crucial nutrient, so finding ways to sneak it into your diet is a fantastic idea.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
This savory comfort food pairs beautifully with a glass of low-carb red wine. If you’re serving it as a main course, try adding a side of cauliflower mashed “potatoes”.
Begin by chopping the beef stew meat into 1-inch pieces, then season with sea salt, black pepper, rosemary, oregano, and thyme.
Set Instant Pot to the saute function, add ghee or avocado oil, and sear the meat until browned. Turn the instant pot off, and make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot for browned bits.
Next, add four cups beef broth or bone broth, one scoop of collagen, one or two tablespoons tomato paste, one tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos, stirring well to combine.
Add the lid and lock it, turn the pressure release to seal, and press the meat button, making sure the time is set to 45 minutes.
Once it’s done, release pressure quickly and add the remaining veggies. Making sure they’re covered with liquid, place the lid on, and make sure the valve is switched to “seal.”
Cook for ten more minutes and allow the remaining pressure to naturally release for 10-15 minutes.
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can also make this recipe in a slow cooker or crockpot.
If you’re sensitive to salt, you can choose a low sodium bone broth.Print
Instant Pot Beef Stew (Keto and Low-Carb)
Instant pot beef stew is the perfect comfort food, tender beef chuck with veggies and a savory sauce. Serve with some red wine and a side of cauliflower mash.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- One, 3-pound chuck roast (chopped into one inch chunks)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon ghee or avocado oil
- One, 32-ounce container bone broth
- 1 scoop Perfect Keto Unflavored Collagen
- 1 tablespoon keto-friendly tomato paste (optional*)
- 1 tablespoon keto-friendly worcestershire sauce (optional*)
- ½ tablespoon coconut aminos
- ¼ small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped into one inch cubes
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Season the chuck roast with sea salt, black pepper, rosemary, oregano, and thyme.
- Set Instant Pot to saute, add ghee or avocado oil, and sear the meat until browned.
- Turn Instant Pot off, add the broth, collagen, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, and coconut aminos, stirring to combine.
- Add the lid and lock it, turn the pressure release to seal, and press the meat button, making sure the time is set to 45 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Add the remaining vegetables, making sure they’re covered with liquid, place the lid on and make sure the valve is switched to “seal.”
- Cook for 10 more minutes and allow the pressure to naturally release for 10-15 minutes.
Macros/serving (optional items have been calculated into macros)
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 272.7
- Fat: 9.4g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5g (Net: 2.6g)
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 40.9g