It’s the beginning of the week, you still haven’t had any time to shop for groceries, but you need something on the dinner table in less than 20 minutes. Haven’t we all been there before? Personally, burgers are always one of our “go to” meal option when pantry pickings are slim and we have no plans for dinner. They are easy to make, only require a few ingredients, and can be served alongside a wide variety of side dishes. Burgers are a great fall back when you need dinner on the table quickly!
As much as a plain burger fits the bill on busy nights though, sometimes it’s nice to spruce things up. One of the great things about ground meat, especially ground chicken or ground turkey is they are a blank canvas. They are mild in flavor, so its very simple to add whatever seasonings and ingredients for fun changes. While the family might not be thrilled to hear they are having burgers for dinner (again), adding a few ingredients that are packed with flavor might just make them look forward to the meal.
These keto spinach and artichoke chicken burgers are so bright with flavor, but are just as easy to make as any other regular burger. The tang and brightness of the lemon, added color and nutrients from the fresh spinach, the crunch of the red onion, and the unexpected texture from the artichokes. This is a recipe that screams Spring and Summer, but will be enjoyed throughout the entire year!
Keto Chicken Burger Ingredients
- Ground Chicken – chicken breast mixed with chicken thighs will produce a richer flavor due to the fat content. You can also use ground pork, ground turkey, or even ground beef.
- Butter – preferably grass fed, this will help will brown the chicken burgers.
- Spinach – fresh spinach, roughly chopped.
- Artichokes – marinated artichokes is preferred for more flavor, but frozen and thawed will work as well.
- Red onion – one small red onion, finely chopped to avoid large chunks in the burgers.
- Lemon – zest lemon and reserve the juice.
- Garlic – fresh whole garlic finely minced to avoid large chunks, you can also used a jar of pre-minced.
How to Make Keto Chicken Burger
Saute artichokes, spinach, red onion, and garlic in olive oil or butter. Cook just until fragrant, softened and heated through. Let cool completely.
Make Chicken Burgers
Combine cooked and cooled vegetables, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and ground chicken in a large bowl. Use your hands to thoroughly mix ingredients together. Form patties and cook in a cast iron skillet until golden brown on both sides.
Build Chicken Burgers
These low carb chicken burgers are best served as a lettuce wrap, but can also be served alongside any veggies of choice. Top with a mild cheese, thinly sliced tomato, red onions, and homemade tzatziki sauce.
Keto Chicken Burger FAQs
What goes well with keto chicken burgers?
What toppings can I add on a keto chicken burger?
These keto chicken patties are loaded with bright flavors, anything else added to them is a bonus. For texture and even more flavor you can add sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, tzatziki sauce, and an extra squeeze of lemon. Sliced kalamata olives would also be great with the burgers.
Are there any substitutes I can use for ground chicken?
Yes! You can also use ground turkey, ground pork, or even ground beef. The fat content in meats will also help provide more flavor and richness. If you want something light and fresh, go for ground chicken or ground turkey which are more mild in flavor as well.
Keto Spinach & Artichoke Chicken Burger
Tired of making the same plain, boring hamburgers week after week? Give these flavorful Greek inspired keto spinach and artichoke chicken burgers a try. They are tender, juicy, and packed with bright flavors!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach (roughly chopped)
- 12 ounces marinated artichokes (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- Lemon (zest and juice reserved)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Red onion
- Bibb lettuce
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet set to medium-high heat. Add chopped spinach, artichokes, diced red onion, and garlic to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 5-6 minutes until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- When the vegetables have cooled, add them to a large bowl with the ground chicken, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Using your hands, work ingredients together. Form patties and place them on a piece of parchment paper or plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook the patties for 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and build burgers using whatever toppings you prefer.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: keto chicken burger