Amazing recipes do not need a long list of complicated ingredients or hours of cooking time. Some of the best dishes I have ever had were the most simple ones and they always proved to be a true crowd pleaser. It’s an added bonus that the clean up is minimal and this healthy baked chicken recipe can be made in under 30 minutes. It is perfect for a low carb, keto, or paleo diet and will definitely have everyone coming back for more.
One of my favorite ingredients to cook with is lemon. It can be used in so many different ways. It can help tenderize meats, it can be used in sauces and dressings, and it offers a special brightness to any recipe. It’s a great way to balance the rich flavor of meats like chicken thighs as well. And while the mix of lemon, herbs, and garlic may be considered simple to some, there is a reason this flavor profile is a classic combination in a wide variety of cuisines. This baked chicken recipe is absolutely perfect for any busy weeknight meal, but is every bit as good as a cozy Sunday dinner that the family will think you spent hours cooking!
Baked Lemon Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Thighs – boneless skinless thighs or you can also use chicken breasts if desired
- Lemon – zest and juice reserved
- Olive Oil – extra virgin or you can also use avocado oil
- Garlic – whole cloves that have been thinly sliced
- Italian Herbs – a combination of oregano, thyme, and rosemary use a premixed blend
- Chicken Broth – or chicken stock
- Butter – grass fed
How to Make Baked Lemon Chicken
Prepare chicken thighs by lightly seasoning them and then searing in a large cast iron skillet. Remove from the pan and set aside for the time being.
Add remaining ingredients to the pan, whisk to combine, and bring to a simmer.
Return chicken to pan and bake until chicken is cooked through.
Storing and Reheating Baked Lemon Chicken Leftovers
Add leftover chicken and sauce to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a cast iron skillet for 7-8 minutes or in a preheated 400°F oven for 10-12 minutes.
Baked Lemon Chicken FAQs
Does the lemon juice dry out the chicken?
No. The lemon juice actually helps tenderize the meat.
How long should I marinate the chicken with the lemon juice?
There is no need to marinate the chicken before cooking. All of the flavor is created in the cooking process.
What to serve with baked lemon chicken?
This chicken would be great alongside a nice salad that includes greens like arugula, red onion, tomatoes, and a lemon vinaigrette. You can also serve it over steamed riced cauliflower with a side of buttered almond bread flour. This grilled asparagus would also pair amazingly with this recipe as well.
What other chicken parts can I use as substitutes?Print
One Pan Baked Lemon Chicken
Enjoy this easy and delicious one pan baked lemon chicken recipe any night of the week. It is juicy, tender, and baked to perfection.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 4–6 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add olive oil to a large cast iron or oven safe skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Lightly season chicken thighs with 1/2 teaspoon salt, a pinch of pepper, and Italian seasoning. Sear meat on both sides until golden brown. Remove chicken from the skillet, leaving the heat on.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, chicken broth, remaining salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a simmer, then return chicken to skillet and turn off the heat.
- Bake chicken in the oven for 15-20 minutes until meat is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Stir in butter.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh
- Calories: 361
- Fat: 33 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: baked lemon chicken