Vegetables make an excellent low carb alternative to various grains. Cauliflower can be substituted for rice, spaghetti squash for spaghetti, and lettuce for sandwich wraps.
Zucchini is another vegetable commonly used to replace a high carbohydrate favorites, particularly pasta. With a simple spiralizer, a whole zucchini can be transformed into an entire plate of angel hair pasta.
Sliced another way (pun intended), zucchini can be cut into strips and layered with mozzarella cheese, ground beef, and pasta sauce to make a bubbly, meaty lasagna. You’ll follow this exact process today to bake a low carb, keto lasagna suited for the whole family.
What You Will Need: Ingredients and Kitchen Tools
Believe it or not, this is actually a fairly easy recipe to cook.
For your zucchini lasagna, you don’t need any fancy kitchen tools. You’ll need:
- A casserole dish (the deeper the better — don’t use a baking sheet or sheet pan, as the tomato sauce and ricotta mixture will splatter everywhere)
- A skillet set to medium-high heat
- Tin foil
- Two large bowls, one to mix your cheese mixture and one to mix your Italian seasoning.
For the ingredients, see below. All the ingredients should be easily found at your local grocery store.
You’ll need Italian sausage, olive oil, three different types of cheese, one egg, marinara sauce, garlic powder, and a variety of herbs and seasonings. For the marinara sauce, Perfect Keto typically uses Rao’s. However, you can use any brand you wish, as long as it doesn’t contain added sugar (be sure to double-check the ingredients label).
How Do You Make Low Carb Lasagna?
When you examine your mother’s classic Italian lasagna recipe, you’ll notice only two ingredients need to be eliminated: lasagna sheets and flour. The flour is typically used within the ricotta cheese mixture, which is easily swapped out for coconut flour in this particular recipe. All other ingredients, including the meat sauce, cheeses, and other ingredients, are all keto-friendly.
Option 1: Bake Your Own Keto Noodles
To replace the lasagna noodles, you’ll need to find a low carb alternative. Some keto lasagna recipes call for baked lasagna sheets, made from a combination of cream cheese, parmesan cheese, and eggs[*]. While this is a perfectly fine option, it certainly makes for a dairy-heavy dish. If your stomach can’t take four different cheeses packed into a single baking dish, making a keto lasagna with zucchini is a viable alternative.
Option 2: Replace Lasagna Sheets With Zucchini Noodles
Zucchini is a healthier alternative than adding more dairy to your lasagna. However, it’s a tricky process. You will need to “sweat” the zucchini noodles to prevent your lasagna from becoming too soupy.
Zucchini is packed with water, which releases when baked in the oven. Slice the zucchini then sprinkle generously with sea salt. Place your salted zucchini on a paper towel for 30 minutes. You will be shocked at how much water is extracted! Once 30 minutes are up, wring the zucchini noodles with a paper towel one last time to extract any moisture.
What Makes Zucchini So Healthy, Anyway?
Zucchini is a common ingredient in keto recipes, most commonly in Italian cooking. Zucchini is naturally gluten-free, contains a low net carb count, and is extremely low in calories. Therefore, it’s an easy way to transform a supposed gluttonous comfort food into a healthy, low carb recipe. If you check out the nutrition facts below, zucchini is what allows this recipe to stay within 12 grams of carbs per serving. Tradition lasagna, on the other hand, could contain up to 35 grams of carbs per slice[*].
Zucchini comes with roughly 5 net grams of carbohydrates, zero fat, and around 3 grams of protein per cup. It’s packed with a number of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, B, and potassium[*]. This makes it the perfect ingredient for anyone diagnosed with diabetes, watching their waistline, or following the keto diet.
Finally, using zucchini in lieu of high-carb pasta is a great way to “hide” vegetables. If you have a tough time convincing your partner or your kiddos to eat enough vegetables, this is a great way to sneak in an extra severing. This particular recipe uses four entire zucchinis in a single lasagna. Since this recipe yields six servings, you will consume two-thirds of a zucchini in one meal!
Work This Keto Lasagna Into Your Weekly Meal Plan
With a few tweaks in ingredients, you can easily enjoy a delicious lasagna that tastes just as good as the real thing. By swapping out coconut flour for regular flour and zucchini for noodles, you have a gluten-free, low carb meal ready to be enjoyed by the whole family.
Looking for more ketogenic versions of your favorite recipes? Perfect Keto is always adding new recipes to this website. Be sure to check back in for other great, low carb dinner ideas.Print
Low Carb Keto Lasagna
A fresh spin on a classic Italian classic. This low carb zucchini keto lasagna provides all of the flavors of traditional lasagna, but without the extra carbs.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, coconut oil, or lard
- 1/2lb spicy Italian sausage or sweet Italian sausage
- 15oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- medium-high large whole egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- a large clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 large zucchini’s (sliced long ways to 1/4” pieces)
- 16oz Rao’s marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flake (depending on how spicy you want this dish)
- 1/4 cup basil
- Slice the zucchini then sprinkle generously with sea salt. Place your salted zucchini on a paper towel for 30 minutes. Once 30 minutes is up, wring the zucchini noodles with a paper towel one last time to extract any moisture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter or fat of choice in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble and brown Italian sausage. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Add ricotta cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese, 1 egg, coconut flour, salt, garlic, garlic powder, and pepper to a small bowl and mix until smooth. Set aside. Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes to a jar of marinara, stir well. Set aside.
- Add a layer of sliced zucchini to the bottom of greased dish. Spread 1/4 cup of cheese mixture over zucchini, sprinkle with 1/4 of the Italian sausage and then add a layer of sauce. Repeat process 3-4 times until ingredients are all gone, ending with a layer of sauce. Add remaining mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired.
- Calories: 364
- Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: keto lasagna