Choosing a keto-friendly appetizer can get a little tricky when planning for low-carb and non-low carb guests. That’s where recipes that are naturally rich in protein and fat come in, like these lemon pepper chicken wings. Whether it’s game day, a birthday party or just a gathering of friends — these wings are sure to be a hit.
These lemon pepper chicken wings are:
The main ingredients are:
- Chicken wings
- Avocado oil
Optional additional ingredients:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
Health Benefits of Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Rich In Fat and Protein
It’s not hard to find a recipe that’s rich in healthy fats — fat bombs, avocado brownies, pretty much any keto dessert you can think of. And it’s certainly not hard to find protein-rich meals — chicken, pork, beef, fish, you name it.
However, finding a dish that’s rich in both fat and protein isn’t quite as easy. That is unless you’re making these lemon pepper chicken wings.
These wings provide 21 grams of protein per serving and come packed with 29 grams of healthy fat. Perfect if you’re trying to curb cravings or build muscle.
Browse our curated collection of fan-favorites and discover your new favorite snack or supplement.Shop Best Sellers
Protein and fat are incredibly satiating, you’ll feel fuller quicker and stay that way for longer[*][*].
Along with an abundance of fat and protein, these lemon pepper wings 100% carb-free. This makes them ideal for keto dieting. And don’t worry about getting too much protein on a keto diet. That’s largely a myth.
While many fried chicken wing recipes contain sneaky sources of carbs like bread crumbs, all-purpose flour, or sugar, these guys are carb-free, so you can enjoy without a second thought.
Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Ready to get these wings in the oven? Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set the baking sheet aside and gather your ingredients.
In a large bowl, toss your chicken wings in the avocado oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
Next, place the wings in a single layer on a wire rack set on top of a lined baking sheet. Bake the wings for 50-55 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Note: If using an air fryer, cook for 15 minutes at 380°F, flip wings and cook for an additional 5 minutes at 400°F.
The Lemon Pepper Sauce
In a separate bowl, add the melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon pepper seasoning, remaining salt, and pepper.
When your wings are done, remove them from the oven or air fryer and toss in the melted butter mixture. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
Tips For The Best Lemon Pepper Wings
- Avoid cooking at high heat with olive oil. Olive oil has a decent smoke point, which means you can cook with it at higher temperatures. However, too high for too long can oxidize the delicate fatty acids, turning a healthy fat into a rancid fat.
- Avoid vegetable oils like canola oil. These cheaper oils are often extracted with chemicals like hexane, which are best left to the glue industry (where it is also used) than the food industry.
- Switch up the spices. Change up your spices if you want to give your wings even more flavor. For spicy wings, add in a touch of cayenne. For a hit of flavor, add onion powder or garlic powder.
- Serve with lemon. Serve your chicken wings with some lemon wedges. This will not only brighten your plate, but your guests can add a little lemon juice to their wings for a pop of bright flavor.
What To Serve With Your Lemon Pepper Wings
If you’re looking for a few other appetizers to add to your party table, there are several keto-friendly options out there. Some apps that will pair nicely with these wings include:Print
Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
These lemon pepper chicken wings are the perfect appetizer if you’re looking for something crispy and flavorful, that’s also low-carb. Serve with melted butter.
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 lbs 1x
- 4 lbs chicken wings
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400F degree and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Toss wings in avocado oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Place wings in a single layer on a wire rack set on top of a lined baking sheet. Bake wings for 50-55 minutes until golden brown and crispy. If using an air fryer, cook for 15 minutes at 380F degrees, flip wings and cook for an additional 5 minutes at 400F Degrees.
- Add melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon pepper seasoning, remaining salt and pepper to a large bowl.
- Remove wings from the oven/air fryer and toss in melted butter mixture. Adjust seasoning to your liking. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: ¼ lb chicken wings
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 29g
- Carbohydrates: 0g ( Net: 0g)
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 21g